As a solopreneur, the search for balance and contentment can feel a bit like searching for a unicorn. However, this doesn’t have to be the case.
Gordon Brewer knows quite a bit about being a solopreneur as a licensed therapist and practice consultant. But what’s more, Gordon knows what it takes to find balance while juggling multiple businesses and responsibilities. On this episode of Solopreneur Money, he’ll teach us how we can find balance and contentment as solopreneurs.
You will want to hear this episode if you are interested in…
- Gordon’s story [1:22]
- What it was like living in a funeral home as a young person [5:49]
- Being a solopreneur and a caregiver for a disabled family member [14:38]
- How to find balance while being a solopreneur and caregiver [16:01]
- The money questions [28:35]
Gordon Brewer loves helping others
Gordon Brewer is a man who wears many hats. He is currently a therapist, practice consultant, podcaster, coach, and caregiver to his disabled wife.
Gordon started his career in the funeral home business while still in college. After working for years as a mortician, he decided he needed a change of pace and went back to school to get his master’s in counseling while in his 40s.
Today, Gordon owns the Kingsport Counseling practice in Tennessee. When he started his private practice there weren’t many online resources to help clinicians strike out on their own, so it took a bit of trial and error to get started.
Since he has such broad experience and a passion for systems and processes, Gordon began helping other clinicians learn the ropes of opening a private practice. Gordon now helps others make the transition to becoming solopreneurs as a consultant, coach, and podcaster.
How to find life balance as a solopreneur
Since Gordon has so many business interests, as well as a robust home and social life, he has to work hard to attain balance. There are four critical areas that you can focus on to find balance as a solopreneur.
- Understand the importance of self-care. The first step to finding balance is understanding the importance of self-care. Gordon emphasizes the importance of knowing yourself well so that you can understand what you need to do to regulate yourself and know when you’ve reached your limits.
- Identify and lean on your support system. Know who you can call on in times of need. Your support system can be family, friends, counselors, mentors, or even a community of colleagues. Know who you can turn to bounce ideas off of and who will give you honest feedback.
- Develop good daily habits. Have a system in place to manage your time and develop a healthy routine. Having set routines can help you to recharge your battery. Learn to recognize what’s on your plate and prioritize what you want to accomplish each week.
- Find meaning in what you are doing. When you have a good understanding of your intention and meaning you’ll find contentment in what you do.
Learn to live in the now
Many people struggle with depression and anxiety. Depression stems from being overly focused on the past while anxiety is based on worry about the future. The best way to work through both of these issues is to live in the present. Listen in to learn what you can from Gordon’s deep wisdom both as an entrepreneur and a mental health practitioner.
Resources & People Mentioned
- Full Focus Planner
- BOOK – Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
- BOOK – Profit First by Mike Michalowicz
Connect with Gordon Brewer
- Gordon on LinkedIn
- Practice of Therapy podcast
- The Kindness and Compassion podcast
- The PsychCraft network
Connect With Gabe Nelson
- BOOK – The Solopreneur’s Money Manifesto by Gabe Nelson
- FREE Downloadable Resources at https://www.gabenelsonfinancial.com/resources/
- EMAIL: Gabe (at) GabeNelsonFinancial.com
- Follow Gabe on LinkedIn
- Follow Gabe on Twitter: @GabeNelsonCFP
- Follow Gabe on Facebook
- Follow Gabe on Instagram: @GabeNelsonCFP
Audio Production and Show notes by
PODCAST FAST TRACK