If you have experienced failure you know it can be soul-crushing. So much so that it can be difficult to envision a life beyond that failure. Jim Swan knows exactly how that feels since he experienced two major failures in his life and business.
Jim has learned from his experiences and made an amazing comeback. Now, as a certified professional coach, he shares his hard-earned wisdom with others as they learn to work through failure as they transform their lives and businesses.
If you have experienced failure or have a fear of failure, you won’t want to miss Jim’s sage advice. Press play to hear how to overcome failure so you can move forward.
You will want to hear this episode if you are interested in…
- Jim’s story [1:22]
- The first step he took after he moved [12:25]
- The lessons Jim learned by overcoming failure [19:12]
- The money questions [25:30]
- How to find Jim [31:40]
Jim understands what it means to fail
Jim Swan had created a thriving design business in L.A., but after the recession of 2008, that business came crashing down around him. After several bad months in a worsening economy, Jim became convinced that there was no coming back. He was literally on the edge, contemplating the end when he realized that his dogs needed him.
That pivotal moment drove him to make a major life change. He moved to coastal Maine and created a life that was the complete antithesis of the one he had in L.A. For years he lived a quiet life freelancing and was finally getting back on his feet when a financial mistake caused him to lose it all–again.
While healing from that mistake, Jim discovered a book called Positive Intelligence that changed his life. He found himself healing, learning, and growing.
The lessons he learned were so powerful that he became a certified coach for those worried about failure. He turned his years of business experiences and healing into a way to help other business owners learn how to move past failure.
Lessons you can learn to overcome failure
After experiencing his own failures and helping countless others through theirs, Jim has discovered six steps that can help you move forward after failure so that you can embrace life and begin again.
- Assess your resources. Not just your financial resources, dig in and discover the skills and resources you have in different areas of your life.
- Gain clarity. You’ll need to fully understand what happened so that you can move on. Journaling helps you get to the root causes of your failure.
- Forgive yourself. Once you understand what happened, own it, forgive yourself, and move on.
- Serve others. By serving others you’ll be able to step outside yourself and gain perspective.
- Restore hope. Allow yourself to dream again. Begin to envision a new future.
- Don’t isolate yourself. We have a natural tendency to isolate ourselves when we experience failure, but this won’t help us move on. Get out there and enjoy the company of others.
Subscribe to Solopreneur Money
Listen in to learn from Jim’s journey. He has much to share regarding overcoming failure. You can check out all his links down below to learn more from him personally.
If you have been enjoying Solopreneur Money, follow the show and share it with a friend.
Resources & People Mentioned
- BOOK – Positive Intelligence by Shirzad Chamine
Connect with Jim Swan
Connect With Gabe Nelson
- BOOK – The Solopreneur’s Money Manifesto by Gabe Nelson
- FREE Downloadable Resources at https://www.gabenelsonfinancial.com/resources/
- EMAIL: Gabe (at) GabeNelsonFinancial.com
- Follow Gabe on LinkedIn
- Follow Gabe on Twitter: @GabeNelsonCFP
- Follow Gabe on Facebook
- Follow Gabe on Instagram: @GabeNelsonCFP
Subscribe to Solopreneur Money
Audio Production and Show notes by
PODCAST FAST TRACK