As a solopreneur, you probably have some preconceived notions about how your business should run. It can be hard to let go of these even after you have been in business for a while.
Melanie Herschorn has been a solopreneur for many years. Although she has had many successes with her businesses, she has also had a number of failures. In this episode of Solopreneur Money, Melanie will teach you how to let go by learning from her mistakes.
Don’t make the same mistakes that Melanie did; listen in to learn how to avoid them.
You will want to hear this episode if you are interested in…
- Melanie’s story [1:22]
- The biggest lesson she learned [10:20]
- Why mindset is the key [13:25]
- Relating to difficult personalities [16:06]
- Learning to trust your gut [18:08]
- The money questions [20:45]
Melanie’s solopreneur journey was sometimes a bumpy ride
Melanie Herschorn was born and Canada but headed to Hollywood as soon as she could. After working in PR for celebrities, Melanie realized that working with Hollywood stars wasn’t all it was portrayed to be. She decided to switch gears and went back to school to get a master’s degree in journalism. She then moved from Hollywood to Harrisburg, Pennsylvania with her husband and began her journalism career.
After getting pregnant and laid off, Melanie decided to completely switch gears by starting her own line of breastfeeding clothes. Even though Melanie had never made, manufactured, or designed clothing before, she embarked on that journey without experience or help. Although she had many successes, the business ultimately failed and she decided to move in a completely different direction.
Today, Melanie is a book marketing strategist that helps coaches, consultants, and speakers become successful authors by showcasing their experience and positioning them as industry experts. With such a varied background, Melanie has something to teach just about any solopreneur. Discover what she has learned from her multi-faceted career.
Melanie’s 3 takeaways from her solopreneur journey
- Get a guide – Melanie knew nothing about designing and manufacturing clothing, so if she would have had a successful mentor in the industry, she could have learned so much. Now, Melanie doesn’t do anything without help. She understands how much the right coach or mentor can help improve a business right from the start.
- Create boundaries – Since Melanie is a yes person, she often finds it challenging to maintain boundaries and find a balance between work and home life. She ended up having to stop giving her clients her phone number since she would get texts and phone calls at all hours.
- Trust your gut – Don’t listen to well-meaning family and friends. Their intentions may be good, but chances are, they don’t have experience in your field. If something doesn’t feel right it isn’t right, so learn to follow your instincts.
Melanie has a fascinating story that we can all learn from. Her insights are spot on and she has learned from her mistakes at every turn. Press play to discover what you can learn from her experience during her solopreneur journey.
Connect with Melanie Herschorn
- Check out Melanie’s Ultimate Book Marketing Checklist
- Melanie on LinkedIn
- VIP Digital Content on Instagram
- VIP Digital Content on Facebook
Connect With Gabe Nelson
- BOOK – The Solopreneur’s Money Manifesto by Gabe Nelson
- FREE Downloadable Resources at https://www.gabenelsonfinancial.com/resources/
- EMAIL: Gabe (at) GabeNelsonFinancial.com
- Follow Gabe on LinkedIn
- Follow Gabe on Twitter: @GabeNelsonCFP
- Follow Gabe on Facebook
- Follow Gabe on Instagram: @GabeNelsonCFP
Subscribe to Solopreneur Money
Audio Production and Show notes by
PODCAST FAST TRACK