For FREE Downloadable Resources Click Here
Welcome to the 3rd installment of the Building Your Band series. If you haven’t listened to the first two episodes you can start at episode 24. You won’t want to miss out on the valuable information in those first two episodes of this series before listening to this one.
Now that you know you need a rock star for your band and you know how to get started, it’s time to figure out where to look for these rock stars. Join me and Melissa Smith to learn how to find the perfect fit for your growing solopreneur business.
You will want to hear this episode if you are interested in…
- Hearing Melissa’s story [2:22]
- The biggest challenge Melissa faced in starting her business [8:55]
- How Melissa went from an employee mindset to a business owner mindset [11:15]
- What Melissa is doing today [19:45]
- Where you can go to find your rock star [23:48]
- More tips on how to find your rock star [32:09]
- Discovering the different ways that a VA can help your business [35:38]
- Melissa’s take on the 3 money questions [45:36]
How can Melissa Smith teach you where to find your next rock star?
Melissa Smith joins me today to teach you where to look for your future rock stars. Melissa is the perfect guide to help you build your band since she is the founder and CEO of The PVA and The Association of Virtual Assistants. Not only that, Melissa literally wrote the book about hiring the right virtual assistant. You won’t want to miss Melissa’s wealth of knowledge on this subject. When you’re done listening make sure to scroll down to the end of the show notes so that you can link to all the resources mentioned on this episode.
What brought Melissa to where she is today?
Melissa knew she wanted to be an executive assistant from a young age. Her mom was an executive assistant and as a girl, she would always marvel at the way people in the office would rave about her mother’s work. So you could say that being an executive assistant is in Melissa’s blood.
After completing secretary school, Melissa was an executive assistant for 15 years. But it wasn’t until life circumstances forced her to move across the country that she pitched the idea of going virtual to her boss. He agreed and after completing her year-long contract with that employer it dawned on her that she could do this for herself and be her own boss. Melissa lept headlong into her new business venture and gained clients immediately.
The biggest challenge of becoming a solopreneur
It wasn’t until Melissa had been a solopreneur for several months that she discovered her biggest challenge. She realized that she was working harder than ever and had plenty of clients but somehow she wasn’t making enough money.
Melissa didn’t understand what was wrong with her business model. It dawned on her that she had no idea how to effectively run a business, so she did the smartest thing she could have done. She asked for help.
How Melissa’s business coach helped her grow her mindset from an employee to a business owner
Even though Melissa was an amazing virtual assistant, she was a terrible business owner. She didn’t understand that she had to reframe her thought process from employee to business owner.
She doesn’t consider herself a natural entrepreneur, so it took an amazing business coach to help her understand how to price her services for value so that she could succeed in her business.
Melissa has so much to teach us about hiring the perfect rock star for our bands. Make sure to listen all the way until the end to hear all the tidbits she has to offer as well as my 4 takeaways from this episode.
Resources & People Mentioned
- Founder movie
- Make Your Mark Coaching by Krista Martin
- Episode 19 – How to Price Your Services for Value and Profitability
Connect with Melissa Smith
- Use Melissa’s FREE workbook to make sure you hire the right VA
- The PVA
- Association of Virtual Assistants
- BOOK – Hire the Right Virtual Assistant by Melissa Smith
- BOOK – Become a Virtual Assistant by Melissa Smith
- Melissa Smith @ThePVA on LinkedIn
- @ThePersonalVirtualAssistant on Facebook
- @MelissaSmithVA on Instagram
- @ThePVA on Twitter
Connect With Gabe Nelson
- FREE Downloadable Resources at https://solopreneur21.wpengine.com/resources/
- EMAIL: Gabe (at) GabeNelsonFinancial.com
- Follow Gabe on LinkedIn
- Follow Gabe on Facebook
- Follow Gabe on Instagram: @GabeNelsonCFP
Subscribe to Solopreneur Money
Audio Production and Show notes by
PODCAST FAST TRACK